Sunday, January 18, 2009

Boring movie, exciting food

HBO showed this boring movie starring Catherine Zeta Jones called "No Reservations" where ten minutes into the movie I still had no idea what was going to happen nor did I care. It was all exposition: she was a chef, the kind of chef that quarreled with the costumer who did not like her cooking; she had a sister with a daughter who were coming over to her. On their way, they met an accident and the mother of the child died...

Was it a tragedy or a love story? It's trailer suggested it was a love story the reason why I was excited to see it. Besides, I miss Catherine since Zorro and the other film where she partnered with an old famous actor whose name now escapes me and they were thieves trying to take advantage of the Y2K to execute their biggest mission ever.

I switched to Discovery Travel and Living where Bizarre Food was airing and the host, Andrew Zimmem was in Samoa Island located in the South Pacific and midway between Hawaii and New Zealand.

I was not able to see what he and his host were eating in a hut. But after an advertisement, he went fishing for blue fin tunas. They filleted the tuna and ate it raw. He was served the eyeball, was instructed to put drops of lemon on it and was asked to sip the eyeball. Which he graciously did, as he always do.

I like this Zimmem. He is cool and he never ever say no to a challenge. He eats whatever is there to eat served or showed by his host. I have never even seen him cringed when faced a delicacy no matter how bizarre. Were he to join Fear Factor, he would surely win any challenge that involves food.

I love fish and I was salivating when they showed the filleted tuna. It was so fresh I wanted to share their food.

Next, he went to a clam farm where he also ate a fresh clam. I ate a clam once in Cantilan, Surigao del Sur. There, I also ate live shrimp and fresh squid dipped in vinegar mixed with minced ginger and onion with a little salt.

The taste still lingers in my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment